2 Mar 2010

Alabama strike wins support of passengers

















Tuscaloosa, Alabama
At the University of Alabama, bus drivers, students and supporters picketed First Transit headquarters the morning of March 1.
One of the Alabama bus drivers, Felicia Graves, said, “I am demanding that we be fairly treated. I’ve driven the bus for some of ‘my babies’ - I call them ‘my babies’ since I’ve known them from when they were in the fourth grade. The company refuses to do any maintenance on these buses and not only are they putting my safety on the line but also they’re putting the students safety on the line. I’m going on strike until they give us respect. I’m already not making money. I have nothing to lose.”
Another Crimson Ride driver, Singrid Sanders, said, “We really love working and doing what we do, but they aren’t taking us seriously. I’m going on strike until they recognize us for the hard work that we do.”
Students are also involved, and Students for a Democratic Society organized a rally on campus in support of the strike. Dozens of students and supporters met on the quad to show support for the drivers.

No comments: